Our Core Beliefs
- The Old and New Testaments are inspired by God, true, error-free, sufficient, and are the final authority in matters of doctrine and life. (Psalm 19:7-11; 2 Timothy 3:16; 2 Peter 1:20-21).
- The three Ecumenical Creeds (Apostles?, Nicene, and Athanasian), Augsburg Confession, and Luther?s Small Catechism are accurate summaries and right articulations of the doctrines taught within Scripture.
- There is only one God (Deuteronomy 6:4; Isaiah 45:5-6; Isaiah 46:9-10; John 17:3; 1 Corinthians 8:4-6; 1 Timothy 2:5).
- The Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God. There are not three Gods but One Triune God (Genesis 1:26; Psalm 45:6-7; Psalm 110:1; Matthew 3:13-17; Matthew 28:17-20; 1 Corinthians 12:14-6)
- Every human being is created in the image of God and has innate value above all other created things. (Genesis 1:26,27; Psalm 139 13-16)
- Every human being is by nature and action a sinner (Genesis 6:5; Psalm 51:5; Jeremiah 17:9; Romans 3:23; 5:8; 12-21; 7:18; Ephesians 2:1-3).
- The just and deserved penalty for sin is death, both physical and spiritual (Genesis 2:15-17; Genesis 3:19; Romans 5:12; 6:23; James 1:14-15).
Salvation and the Christian Life
- Only by grace, through faith, in Christ Jesus, are we reconciled to God and forgiven of our sins, declared righteous in the sight of God. ?(John 3:18, 14:6; Acts 4:12;
Ephesians 2:8; Romans 3:21-26; 1 Timothy 2:5-6).
- Those in Christ Jesus are in-dwelt by the Holy Spirit and are called to live holy and blameless lives, being set apart from the world (Romans 6 and 12).
- Those in Christ Jesus are called and empowered to be witnesses for Jesus Christ (Acts 1:8; Matthew 28:18-20).
- Jesus Christ is the eternal Son of God, was born of a virgin and is both truly God and truly human (Matthew 1:20; Luke 2:52; John 1:1-4; Colossians 1:15-20; Hebrews 1:1-3).
- Jesus Christ died as my substitute to pay the penalty for my sin (John 1:29; 10:1-18; Romans 5:8; 1 Corinthians 15:1-4; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Galatians 1:4; 1 Peter 3:18).
- Jesus Christ physically rose from the dead to conquer death on my behalf (Matthew 28:1-20: Mark 16:1-8: Luke 24:1-53: John 1:20-21, 25: 1 Corinthians 15:12-34).
- Jesus Christ physically ascended into heaven and will one day physically return (John 14:3; Acts 1:11; 1 Thessalonians 4:16; Hebrews 9:28; 1 John 3:2; Revelation 1:7).
- When Christ returns there will be a physical resurrection of the dead. Those who trust in Jesus Christ alone will be raised to eternal life. Those who have not trusted in Jesus Christ will be raised to eternal punishment. (Matthew 25:31-46; John 5:28-29; Acts 24:15 ).
- In accordance with Psalm 139: 13-16, we believe that all human life is sacred and created by God in His image. Human life is of inestimable worth in all its dimensions, including pre-born babies, the aged, the physically or mentally challenged, and every other stage or condition from conception through natural death.
- We believe that the term ?marriage? has only one meaning: the uniting of one man and one woman in a single, exclusive union, as delineated in Scripture. (Gen. 2:18-25.)
- We believe that God intends sexual intimacy to occur only between a man and a woman who are married to each other. (1 Cor. 6:18; 7:2-5; Heb. 13:4)
Means of Grace
- All people regardless of age are dead in sin, and therefore unable to come to God in their own strength, will, or choice. It is through the gospel of Jesus Christ that God works faith and makes sinners alive in Christ. Therefore, the first, and most vital means of grace, is the Gospel. (Romans 1:16)
- God uses specific external, visible means through which the Gospel of Jesus Christ is delivered to sinners to work and preserve faith.
- This Gospel is delivered in written form through God?s Holy Word. (Romans 10:17)
- This Gospel is delivered in visible form through the Sacraments of Holy Baptism and the Lord?s Supper (Acts 2:37-41; Romans 6:1-11; 1 Corinthians 11:1-34).
Let’s connect on social media! Like and follow Shiloh for updates and news.
SHILOH | Knowing Jesus Christ as Savior and making Him known in the Rapid City, SD area.